Educational Benefits of Racially and Ethnically Diverse School
Summarizes research on school desegregation and the benefits of racial and ethnic diversity in K-12 schooling.
Journal Name or Institutional Affiliation:
The Civil Rights Project
- Summary of research on school desegregation and benefits of racial and ethnic diversity in K-12 education. Academic achievement and aspiration benefits for African American students.
- Interracial friendship benefits for White and non-White students. Stresses importance of studying non academic outcomes including: civil/democratic engagement, desire to live and work in a diverse setting.
- There is evidence, both older and more recent, from school desegregation research that there is a positive, albeit modest, impact of school racial composition on Black students' academic achievement.
- Evidence that African Americans that attend desegregated schools have higher educational and occupational attainment by comparison to their peers in more segregated schools.
- Most recent research suggests that students who attend diverse schools are more likely to forge cross-racial friendships and be comfortable with their peers from racial groups different than their own, by comparison to their peers in racially isolated schools.
- It is critical to branch out from the traditional achievement view of benefits to diversity, and incorporate different and equally important outcomes to schooling into the literature. Such impacts include the impact of diverse schooling environments on civic and democratic engagement, the ability or desire to live and work in diverse settings, and the degree to which schools equally support the academic progress of all students regardless of race.
Academic Achievement, Desegregation, Diversity, Elementary School, Intergroup Relations, Long Term Outcomes, Occupational Outcomes, Outcomes
Method of Analysis:
Unit of Analysis:
- Schofield 1995,2001)
- Crain (1970, 1971)
- Wells and Crain (1994)
- Hallinan and Williams (1987, 1989)
- Jackman & Crane (1986)
- Bradock (1980)