Lauder, Hugh, & Hughes, David
Trading in Futures: Why Markets in Education Don't Work
Individual and school level variables effect on achievement.
Journal Name or Institutional Affiliation:
Open University Press
- About 16 to 21 per cent of the total variance in English, mathematics, and science is between school variance, with the remaining 84 to 79 per cent being variance between individuals.
- The mean SES of the students in the school, their mean prior achievement scores and the like are related to performance over and above the relationship found at the individual level. Schools with larger proportions of students with high initial achievement, larger proportions of students with high initial achievement, larger proportions of students with high initial achievement, larger proportions of students with high socioeconomic status, fewer race minority students, stable rolls and the like are at an advantage, and students will perform better in them than they will in schools with the opposite mix of students.
- Other non-mix variables, such as stability of the school roll, are also related to achievement. If it is assumed that these independent variables are causal the conclusion that must follow is that it does make a difference which schools students attend.
- Check table 7.4 in page 124 for more detailed results.
Composition, English, Math, Racial Composition, Reading, SES, Science
Method of Analysis:
Unit of Analysis:
- The Smithfield data were gathered over the period 1992 to 1997 and include outcome measures, individual level variables and school-level variables.
- DV: Study skill outcomes (verbal analogies, vocabulary, study skills measure, self concept) and school certificate outcomes ( English, mathematics and science)..
- IV: Family SES score, family's cultural background, ethnic variable (Maori, pacific island Polynesian, pakeha/European, other), family had one or two caregivers, gender, primary school attended in 1992 (intermediate school or a full primary school), reading comprehension, reading vocabulary, student math aptitude, and mean score of math aptitude for the Smithfield students in each school, listening comprehension and mathematics, individual self concept, school mean of self concept, attended high school mostly wanted (1 or 0), ethnic composition, parent's contact with school, school size, single sex or co-educational school, attendance variables used in Year 11 School Certificate study.