Campus Diversity and the New Economy
Link between diversity and economics. Relationship between diverse campuses and diverse workplaces.
Journal Name or Institutional Affiliation:
Draft ETS (Educational Testing Service)
- Diverse work groups and customers are inevitable and more efficient, flexible and creative.
- Best way to ensure diversity in the workplace is to increase diversity on campus.
- Boosting the education and income of African Americans and Hispanics would have numerous economic benefits( supply skilled workers, increase national wealth, higher revenue from higher earnings, raising standards of life's of minorities).
- Diversity in organizational performance 1) increase probability of innovation 2) forces team members to remain flexible and open-minded 3) helps ensure that corporate communications and product designs do not unfittingly offend or miss potential customers.
- Having a diverse workforce can help US companies compute better outcomes.
- To ensure diversity among future leaders there must be diversity on elite campuses.
- ETS uses new research to identify "strivers" people who have higher scores than expected based on individual, family, school and academic characteristics.
Literature Review, Policy Analysis
Method of Analysis:
Unit of Analysis:
- Research in industrial organization and clinical findings in studies of group behavior.
- Studies reviewed include:
- Kanter (1983)
- Holzer (1998)
- Grissmer (1998)
- Rotter (1982)
- Hurtado (1997)